Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wednesday, July 8th, 1992

There are times in one's life when one feels even if I tried my hardest I couldn't be better off than this. I am not taking about money my friends. I am talking about that emotional place that is nothing short of Ecstasy.

For me such a time was when my sister was born. I was a kid myself back then however it is a day I will never forget. It began as an ordinary school day however turned into one of the biggest celebrations that we have had till date in family. Just as the bell rung a final time that day and we ran towards the school buses we saw driver bhaiya. He'd come to take us to the Hospital where our mother was admitted. I and my brother sharing the normal bond that siblings do started arguing whether we would be blessed by a brother or sister.

And the silly logical reasons that we came up with for our respective choices amaze me till date. My reasons for wanting a sister was that she could wear all my clothes, follow me everywhere. My brother's reasons for wanting a brother were someone to play games with. I was indifferent to having a brother I guess however my brother didn't want a sister coz she would follow him everywhere.

When we reached the hospital we were told that we now had a sister and my brother cried. He was given myriad logics and explanations by elders around why it was good to have a sister compared to a brother. He was thus placated and we were ushered in to the hospital room to see God's little miracle. And by God miracle it was.

Just a look at our tiny little sister and all our qualms, apprehensions about another sibling were history. It was while looking at her, seeing her sleep, nervously look around and ask permission to touch her cheek, to lift her tiny little fist, to lift her in our arms, to ooh aah at her tiny fingernails that we both realised that this is what being ecstatic means. There can be no feeling better than this.

However, the joy and happiness I experienced that day is nothing compared to what I have experienced since seeing my sweetheart grow up. And the journey continues.....

5 comments:

Varun said...

:)

Bhavna said...

I know exactly how you feel. I was 6 when my sis was born. It was a Friday, I had come back from school, my bua was asking me to finish something due for Monday. Well not much has changed - I remember laughing at her, rolling away in bed at the ridiculous suggestion. Then there was a call and she and I rushed to the hospital. I asked her a thousand questions in the 20 minute ride. She wouldn't tell me if the baby was born or we were just going to see my mum. I guessed that the baby was born and began to jump up and down in my seat. She was trying hard to get me in control but no such luck.

The moments after that are hazy, till I found myself looking into a crib, into the roundest face with round curious black eyes and the bounciest curls. Totally different from the other bald babies with eyes half shut. I fell in love. I could not believe it, this cute thing was mine!

Of all the things God has given me, my sis is the most precious. I know exactly what you mean Anu :)

AlmostPerfect said...

Thanks Bhavna. It's an amazing feeling... ppl find it strange when i say my sister is my first love... To younger siblings.... Cheers

Bhavna said...

The scene I just described is exactly 20 years ago, to the day... It was 3rd November 1989... could have been just yesterday, my memories are so vivid... It's quite awesome that I wrote this today. My own little birthday celebration - 5k kms away...

AlmostPerfect said...

It is :D